Monday, August 31, 2009

Minusbaby - A Few Years Later

Off of a spectacular release called Left by chiptune celebrity Minusbaby on the venerable 8-Bit Peoples label, this second-to-last track is a probably the most laid-back of all the tracks on the album. It's also my favorite! I can't tell you why (I would love to but I just don't know, it's not that I don't trust you!) I've always held the belief that Minusbaby would do better to stick to his visual art (which, incidentally, is fantastic) and letting his peers make the music. It's not that I thought his music was bad, it was just that whenever friends/acquaintances of mine wanted Chiptune music recommendations (as if this site's extensive collection isn't enough for them), of all the people on the 8BP label I spoke of (Random, Bit Shifter, Anamanaguchi, even Virt has a release on there!) Minusbaby was never among them. I don't know. His music never struck me as anything all that special!

(I'm probably going to get an email about that last bit, huh?)

The thing is, though, this release has made me abandon that previously held notion! "Left" continues a streak of 8BP releases that I would deem "unmissable" that started with IAYD's Supergalactic. (I wasn't too big a fan of the Starpause release, and the streak would go back a few more albums were it not for 8BP097. Sorry Starpause!)

Anyway I'm talking way too much about this. Check out the whole release after this song unfailingly draws you in!



Minusbaby's Website

Get It!

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved Minus.

    I respect where you're coming from. It's rare on blogs and boards that people are able to voice what they don't like without retaliation - so it's refreshing to hear you deliver an alternative opinion to "love-it" mentality. (not that you're saying that you dislike the artist!)

    I have to agree that this song is really good. I've gone through it a few times today already.

    &Rew.

    ReplyDelete